.

Friday, December 7, 2012

12 Days of Christmas Baking - Day 2 Spicy Gingersnaps

Near the top of my list of Christmas baking goodies is always Spicy Gingersnaps. The spice combination just screams Christmas, not to mention the smell that fills the kitchen while these are in the oven. That molasses, gingery goodness, on man my mouth waters just thinking about it! I find myself craving these cookies..I mean really craving them. I've always been a gingerbread lover. But these are over the top good to me. Just the perfect amount of spices and the texture is amazing, soft and chewy. They almost seem to melt in your mouth.

This is a super simple cookie to whip up, you don't even need to break out the mixer, you can stir these up by hand. They can be in the oven in no time because they don't require chilling. Another great thing about these is that if you manage to keep these around for more than a few days they are still great. The use of oil instead of butter keeps them soft and chewy. And, that's one thing that intrigues me about this recipe is that it contains NO butter. None. Zero. Zilch. Not a single ounce. I've never tried sub'ing butter for the oil, I figured why risk ruining a wonderful thing? Curiosity hasn't gotten the best of me with this recipe, and I'm determined that it never will. The dough is formed into balls and half is dipped in sugar so they come out having these yummy little sugary sweet crunchies on top. Unfortunately when using just plain white granulated sugar those crunchies don't show up as well in the finished product, so I prefer to use sanding sugar, although I tend to use a bit of each. I have also tried colored sugar, which I don't recommend simply because it doesn't show up as well what with the darker brown coloring of the cookie.

I do not know where this recipe originated. It was given to me by my former boss, titled "Angela's Gingersnaps", Angela being his wife's name. So possibly she developed or perfected the recipe. If so she came up with one heck of a cookie and my praises goes to her.


Spicy Gingersnaps

4 c. all-purpose flour
3 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. salt
1 1/3 c. vegetable oil(or another flavorless oil, I've also used canola)
2 eggs
2 c. sugar
1/2 c molasses

In medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt, set aside. Mix together oil, eggs, sugar and molasses just until combined. Add flour mixure and stir until all ingredients are incorporated. Roll dough into small balls, about 1 tsp each. Dip 1/2 of each ball into sugar and place sugar side up on cookie sheet. Space several inches apart. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes.

Makes about 4 dozen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites