.

Monday, October 22, 2012

Hard Boiled Eggs - The Baked Way

Around here we love egg salad and deviled eggs, and truth be told, my version of both are pretty darn good!  What I don't love is hard boiling and peeling the eggs.  It's just not a fun job, but I'm a money conscious girl, so I refuse to buy the eggs already boiled and peeled.  With that said, I'm always looking for ways to simplify my recipes, or just life in general, and I've found a way to simplify the hard boiled egg experience.  Thanks to pinterest I've recently discovered the baked method.

Currently, I've only tested this method out once, and although my eggs were cooked perfectly with no rawness in the middle of the yolks and no green around the outside there were a few minor issues.  The shells come out with brown spots, which mostly disappears after being in the waterbath.  The spots on the shells are pretty much a non-issue since I use my eggs for deviled eggs and egg salad.  My main complaint was that I had small brown spots on my egg whites also.  The only time I see the spots being an issue is if you are dying eggs for Easter or serving them to guests.    I'm hoping that either a slight reduction in the baking temperature or baking length would prevent the spots on the egg whites, I'll keep you updated.

From Roots And Renovations


Now, for the instructions?

1.  Preheat oven to 350° (325° if your oven runs hot.)
2.  Place desired amount of eggs in standard muffin tins (I've read that mini muffin tins work well too, but haven't tried this yet.)
3.  Bake for 30 minutes.  If your oven runs super hot give 25 minutes a try.
4.  Immediately remove eggs to bowl of ice water using tongs or a large spoon, and allow to soak until cool enough to handle.

5 comments:

I think I'll try this right now! :)

Great! Let me know how you like this method and thanks for visiting my blog!

Nice blog about egg. Thanks for provide me this information.

How far from the top of the oven did you place your eggs? Top rack? Middle? I tried this method for 25 mins at 325 and the eggs were burned on the inside at places! Wondering what I'm doing wrong!

Hi Victoria! Thanks for visiting, I'm sorry that you had trouble with this. I have a convection oven so it doesn't matter what rack I bake anything on. But for a non-convection oven I would go with the middle rack.

If you baked on the middle rack I would try cutting down the time by 3-5 minutes next time. Good luck and if you get a chance check back and let me know how your next try turns out.

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites