.

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Nutella Hot Chocolate - Sinfully Simple!

Now that the weather has started to turn down and we have the heat on all day, I'm craving hot chocolate. There is just something about the sweet, chocolatey drink that soothes me when the temperature dips below 65 degrees, which by my standards is cold weather.

I will confess to taking the easy way out and grabbing a packet of Swiss Miss out of the pantry from time to time. Usually when I do that I atleast doctor it up a bit by adding a generous splash of flavored creamer or a bit of half and half, and in a pinch it's a satisfying drink, but as a girl who loves to do things homemade and spends a huge amount of time in the kitchen those little packets just don't cut it sometimes. For years I've been using Hershey's Hot Cocoa recipe, which can be found on the cocoa powder container, and while it is good, I wanted to try something different today. I decided to try making hot chocolate with Nutella. The stuff is flat out delicious, is it not? My preferred methods for eating Nutella are either straight out of the jar with a spoon or on pretzels. The sweet with the salty, the smooth and creamy with the crunchy is excellent.

From Roots And Renovations
I've made cupcakes with Nutella swirled in, brownies, I've even added it to my smoothies on occasion, so I figured it would work great with hot chocolate too, and I was right! Since it was just me I made a single serving in the microwave, and it could not have been easier. I wanted to amp up the chocolate factor so I added a generous teaspoon of cocoa powder, but if you're not a chocoholic you can skip it. And because I've got a major sweet tooth I added a little sugar, but again, that's totally optional.

And what about those super cute little bitty marshmallows? Don't you just love those? I stumbled upon them in the baking aisle at Target and snagged them for less than $1. For that price I couldn't pass them up and knew I'd find ways to use them. So far I've only used them in my hot chocolate and I've also sprinkled them on top of some chocolate covered donuts I made a while back. On the back of the container I found a recipe for Hot Cocoa Cookies by Christi from Love From The Oven. Although I don't know her personally, I have seen her recipes on Pinterest and visited her site a few times. I always think it's cool and get a little excited to see another blogger mentioned in the media, or on the back on my marshmallow container!

Nutella Hot Chocolate

Recipe by Ms. Roots and Renovations

An easy and delicious single serving microwaved hot chocolate recipe with the wonderful flavor of Nutella.

Prep time: 30 seconds

Cook time: 1-1.5 minutes

Total time: 2 minutes

Yield: 1 serving

Ingredients

  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 heaping teaspoons nutella
  • 1 heaping teaspoon cocoa powder
  • sugar to taste, optional
  • mini marshmallows, for garnish

Cooking Directions

  1. Microwave milk for 1 minute, stirring every 30 seconds.
  2. Add nutella, cocoa powder and sugar (if desired) to a microwave safe mug, then pour in warmed milk.
  3. Stir until all ingredients are dissolved into milk. Microwave an additional 30 seconds or until desired temperature.
  4. Top with mini marshmallows if desired.

5 comments:

Love that it only makes 1 serving. I might just go and make a cup now.

Thanks for stopping by Barbara! I definitely recommend it. Once you try it I hope you'll let me know what you think and if you've made any changes. Btw, love that I finally have my first reader comment!

I made this, so yummy and perfect for the winter :-)

Cooking Rookie, that's so awesome! Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for letting me know =)

That is very good comment you shared.Thank you so much that for you shared those things with us.

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites