.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Sweet Snackin' - Churro Chex

I'm a sucker for pretty much anything cinnamon related. Chances are when a recipe calls for cinnamon I double the amount, and have yet to say, "Whoa, I added a little too much!" Naturally, with my love of cinnamon I'm a huge fan of churros. Being in the south we don't find many around these parts, but I have occasionally been known to call one lunch while shopping at Costco. The snackbar has the most amazing HUGE churros, they're warm, soft and chewy and covered, I mean covered in cinnamon sugar.

I've seen a lot of recipes in the last year made with cinnamon chips, and have searched high and low with no luck. Finally, not too long ago I found them at Wal-Mart and grabbed up a bag without a second though. Since I have only found them in the one store and I think my Wal-Mart only stocks them seasonally I have since stocked up and have a few bags to last me until next fall.

I also have a bit of an obsession with Chex mix, no particular variety. Well, there are some that I don't find appetizing, but there are plenty of sweet and savory varieties that tempt me. So, I figured pairing my love of cinnamon with my Chex mix obsession was the perfect idea. I found a couple versions on Pinterest, one seemed to use way more cinnamon chips than I thought wise, so I opted for the other, a recipe from babble.com. I've found some really tempting recipes there, so if you've never been check em out y'all.

The recipe was super simple, and the only cooking required was a little time in the microwave to melt the cinnamon chips. This is a recipe that is better after it's had a little time to sit so the Chex have dried a little and aren't gooey, but I couldn't resist so I had some immediately and they tasted great, gooey and all. I knew I would likely be the only one eating them so I cut the batch in half, but the recipe below is the full batch version.

Churro Chex is great eaten solo, but I found that my favorite way to eat them was with vanilla greek yogurt. Does that sound weird? I love granola in my yogurt so I thought I'd give it a try and I found it to be a great snack, and fairly healthy to boot! Give these a try and let me know what you think. And, please, please don't hold the not so great, bordering on horrible photos (especially that first one) on these yummy little gems, it's really not their fault. All mine, and the dark gloom day.


Churro Chex

Ingredients

  • 9 cups corn or rice chex (The original calls for rice, but I used corn which was great.)
  • 1 cup cinnamon baking chips
  • 1/4 cup butter or margarine
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

Cooking Directions

  1. In a small microwavable bowl, microwave cinnamon chips and butter for 1 minute; stir until smooth.
  2. Microwave about 30 seconds longer if needed.
  3. Drizzle mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated.
  4. In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, sugar, and cinnamon.
  5. Toss the coated Chex cereal into the sugar mixture.
  6. Spread on a piece of wax paper until cooled.

2 comments:

Hi Sally, thanks for stopping by. Definitely try the Churro Chex and let me know what you think. I love them!

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites