.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Ole Ole - Rice Cooker Mexican Rice

Yesterday I shared with you my recipe for Taco Pie and hinted at my love for restaurant style Mexican rice. I have tried unsuccessfully to recreate it at home, and although none of the recipes I've tried have been inedible, they just haven't hit the mark. Usually they've been too saucy or too strong on the tomato flavor. The rice I love has a sprinkling of corn and diced yellow onions with a faintly reddish orange color, and is definitely not saucy in the least. So, I decided to do a little experimenting and as luck would have it I hit it pretty close to the mark my first go round.

I originally planned to make some white rice in my rice cooker and figured while I was at it, I'd add a few other ingredients and hope for the best. Not only did it turn out to be enjoyable, I found myself craving the leftovers for lunch a few days later. I had a little bit of the black beans leftover that I dished up with the Taco Pie, so I drained and rinsed those and added them to the rice before reheating and discovered a wonderful, light and healthy meatless lunch idea.

From Roots And Renovations

Rice Cooker Mexican Rice

Ingredients

  • 1 cup long grain rice, uncooked
  • 2 1/4 cup water
  • half small yellow onion, diced
  • 1 cup canned or frozen cooked corn
  • 1/3 cup salsa
  • 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

Cooking Directions

  1. Add all ingredients to rice cooker, stir.
  2. Close lid, and turn on. Depending on the rice cooker you will either push the on button or select the white rice setting.
  3. Cook according to the long grain white rice instructions included with your rice cooker, stirring occasionally.
  4. Once cooked, serve immediately or turn the rice cooker to the warm setting and leave covered, stirring occasionally.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites