.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

12 Days of Christmas Baking - Day 6 Spinach Pinwheels

Many of us do a good bit of entertaining between Thanksgiving and New Year's, whether we're hosting a cookie swap party or just have friends and family who drop by unexpectedly. Because of that, I think it's not a bad idea to have an arsenal of easy to prepare appetizer recipes at the ready. Even better when those appetizers require minimal ingredients and result in something tasty that your guests will love. One such appetizer for me is Spinach Pinwheels, which are super easy and contain two of my favorite ingredients crescent rolls and spinach. I will admit that I have never eaten spinach plain, unless you count eating it raw in a salad or on a wrap, but I love it in lasagna, spinach dip and of course Spinach Pinwheels.

I was in a rush to get these packed up and headed out the door when I snapped this photo, so please excuse the lack of presentation. Presented on a pretty platter or not, these things are yummy little bits of goodness. I can't decide which scores more points, the taste or the fact that they only require three ingredients. I have only made these a handful of times, and always when I was having folks over or needed something to take to a potluck. Never have I been disappointed in the responses when I serve these. So, do you need a quick and easy appetizer to serve at your upcoming Christmas party? Or maybe you're even thinking ahead already to New Year's Eve, if so, you're doing better than me. Whatever the reason, I urge you to whip up a batch of these little guys and enjoy!

And if you're looking for a sweet treat to serve and are pressed for time, don't have room in the oven or just want to try something different I highly recommend No-Bake Oatmeal Cookies, as they're known in my family Boiled Oatmeal Cookies. You may remember I shared the recipe a while back, but if you missed it you can find it here. They are an absolute Christmas tradition for our family, and in fact, the only thing my Picky Eater requests during my baking frenzy.

Spinach Pinwheels

A simple and delicious appetizer perfect for any occasion.

Prep time: 15 minutes

Cook time: 10-12 minutes

Total time: 25-30 minutes

Yield: 30 pinwheels

Ingredients

  • 2 (8 oz) packages Crescent Rolls
  • 1 (7 oz) package garlic herb cheese spread
  • 1 (10 oz) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained

Cooking Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Split crescent dough in half along center perforation. Flatten one rectangle, sealing perforations.
  3. Spread with 1/4 of the cheese spread and sprinkle with spinach.
  4. Starting with long side, roll dough up, rolling back and forth several times to seal edges.
  5. Cut into 3/4 inch slices (about 15 slices per roll). Arrange the slices one inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Continue making the crescent roll ups until all of the ingredients are used.
  6. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until lightly browned. Serve immediately or keep warm on a warming tray.

Note: You can substitute garlic and herb cream cheese for the cheese spread. Or, feel free to switch it up and use any flavor cheese spread or cream cheese you like.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites