.

Saturday, December 8, 2012

12 Days of Christmas Baking - Day 3 Eggnog Cookies

Each season has its signature foods and drinks. For Christmas one of those signature items is Eggnog. It seems to be a drink you either love or won't touch. I fall into the won't touch category. I simply do not drink it, not even a sip or two. Consistency is the main reason. If it was a warm drink I don't think the consistency would bother me, and before you say it, I know, it is occasionally served warm. Well, a few Christmases back a friend's wife sent over a big plate of various cookies, most were decent but nothing to die for. Except one cookie really stuck out with me, and that was the Eggnog Cookie. I had never had these before or even heard of them, but after that I knew I had to add Eggnog Cookies to my Christmas baking repertoire. I wasn't able to get the recipe from said friend, so I searched the web and came up with various recipes that were pretty similar. Me being me, I did a little tweaking to make the recipe my own. The cookies we were given had icing drizzled on top, which I planned to add also, but after baking the cookies and doing a taste-test I nixed the icing idea because the cookies were so good as is just sprinkled with a little additional nutmeg before baking.


These Eggnog Cookies, are not your average cookie. They're soft and a little cakey, not chewy or crispy at all. I typically go for chewy cookies with a little crunch around the edges, but these are great, and I love the hint of spice with that extra boost from the nutmeg sprinkled on top. And, like the Spicy Gingersnaps, if you manage to keep these cookies around for more than a few days you'll be fooled into thinking you just baked them because they keep their freshness well.

Don't forget to add these to your "must bake" list for next Christmas!


EGGNOG COOKIES

2 ½ c. flour
1 t. baking powder
½ t. cinnamon
½ t. nutmeg
3/4 c. butter
1 1/4 c. sugar
½ c. eggnog
1 t. vanilla
2 egg yolks
1 T. nutmeg, for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 300°. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg. In another bowl, cream butter and sugar; add eggnog, vanilla and egg yolks. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until just combined. Stir flour mixture into eggnog mixture until uniform. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet; sprinkle cookies lightly with nutmeg. Bake for 23-25 minutes or until bottoms are light brown.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites